English 12 Provincial Exam
There are several factors to keep in mind regarding the importance of the English 12 BC Provincial exam.
- The exam is worth 40% of a student’s overall grade and many students find the exam content challenging.
- Every university uses English 12 to calculate a student’s final admission average.
- Typically, students receive a lower mark on the provincial exam than their in-class English mark and it is not a test that students can cram for.
However, by starting to prepare early, with some very focused work over a number of weeks, students can greatly improve their chance for success.
Options Solutions is here to help! After working with students on provincial exam prep for many years, we have broken down the study process into a few steps and created a number of programs to assist students with their preparation.
- Step 1 – Start early & attend a Kick Start Session. This 2-hour session provides students with an introduction to exam content and format, literary terms, and strategies to tackle the essays and multiple choice questions.
- Step 2 – Take a Practice Exam. The best way to understand the provincial exam is to write one and receive a baseline score. Our mock exam and debrief sessions include a 3-hour mock exam and a 2-hour debrief of the marked multiple choice and essay questions. Students will know exactly where to focus their study efforts after taking an exam.
- Step 3 – Attend group Study Sessions or work one-on-one with a writing coach. Students will receive tips and instruction for exams; review sample questions, reading passages, and complete essay outlines.
Kick Start Study Sessions begin in January.
- Saturday, January 6th – 10:00 am – 12:00 pm (South Surrey)
Followed by two available mock exam and debrief sittings:
- Exam: Saturday, January 13th – 9:00 am – 12:00 pm OR 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm (South Surrey)
- Debrief: Thursday, January 18th – 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm OR Saturday, January 20th – 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm (South Surrey)
*For non-semester-based students or students writing the provincial exam in April or June, please visit our calendar for a full list of our prep program dates at all three of our office locations.
SAT/ACT Exam Prep
Core test skills classes at Options Solutions allow students to prepare for the ACT and/or SAT exam(s) while also building essential academic skills. Students develop their abilities as active readers, learn fundamental grammar, and increase their understanding of essay structure and math concepts. On-going classes prepare students for the ACT and/or SAT by teaching test structure and test-taking strategy. At the same time, students learn skills that translate into success at school in reading, writing and math.
Our full prep program launches with a Core Test Skills Boot Camp the first week of January (January 3rd to January 6th from 9:00 am- 12:00 pm daily at the West Vancouver office). Our prep program will also include:
- ACT Mock Exam sittings & debriefs
- SAT Mock Exam sittings & debriefs
- Weekly Core Test Skills prep sessions
- Concentrated SAT and ACT weekend prep sessions
- Spring Break Core Test Skills Boot Camp
- Spring Break ACT Skills Boot Camp