…It’s called the Graduation Literacy Assessment (GLA).
WHAT IS THE GLA?
The GLA, a requirement for graduation, is an exam that will evaluate students’ ability to read and analyze a variety of texts and to communicate ideas and draw out personal connections in writing. It goes on students’ permanent high school transcript and will prepare students for the upcoming GLA 12 (which they will also be required to take).
WHEN WILL THE GLA COME INTO EFFECT?
The GLA 10 will be introduced to all incoming grade 10 students in the 2019-2020 school year (with exam sittings in November, January, and April). The GLA 12 will follow in 2020-2021 and will be used in university admissions decisions.
HOW SHOULD STUDENTS PREPARE?
This summer is the IDEAL time to begin preparing for the exam! Since the GLA assesses reading, critical thinking, and writing skills, students should strengthen these foundations. Here are some ideas:
- Join our Ready, Set, Write Boot Camps this summer! Focusing on active reading, brainstorming, planning, and essay writing, the boot camp will equip students with essential skills for success in school and on the GLA (see dates below).
- Book a series of appointments with a Writing Coach, who can assess students’ strengths and recommend a personalized course of study.
- Encourage your student to read widely and frequently!
Ready, Set, Write Boot Camp Dates:
- Thursdays: July 25th & August 1st 3 – 6 pm (South Surrey)
- Mon, August 12th – Fri, August 16th 10 am – 1 pm (West Van)
Contact the office at (604) 922-8456 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register.